Cost of a funeral
The cost of a funeral will depend on the kind of funeral you want for your loved one and, to a lesser extent, where you live.
A typical funeral will compromise three main elements:
- Our professional fees and services as Funeral Director
- Third party fees (crematorium or cemetery charges, doctor’s fees, minister or celebrant fees). These unavoidable costs are known as disbursements.
- Optional costs (for example your choice of funeral venue, type of coffins and caskets, death notices in local paper, flowers, orders of service, venue for a wake, catering)
A typical funeral will include 4 elements:
We will quote for all of the costs for all elements on our estimate. Our funeral homes all have a guide price for a ‘Basic’ Funeral fixed-price funeral package. This offers the following elements of a more traditional funeral:
- Taking the deceased into our care
- Basic veneer coffin
- Limited choice of funeral day, date and time
- Hearse and pall bearers
Our funeral guide prices exclude other 3rd party disbursement costs such as doctors’ fees, crematorium or burial fees, church services or extras such as limousines, flowers or orders of service.
Our Funeral Arrangers will always advise you of the amount required by supplying a full estimate of the funeral, including all relevant 3rd party costs, before you confirm the funeral arrangements.
People can be on benefits for a variety of reasons and a change of circumstances, especially the death of a partner, can affect your own entitlement.
Further Reading: Bereavement Support
It can be a confusing time following a death and difficult to know what you need to do first. We are glad to be able to offer help and support at this difficult time.